Are your nails weak, brittle, or fragile? If they are, you need to invest in the best nail strengthener you can find. Nail strengtheners are specially formulated from nutrients and a protective coating to help weak nails grow, while protecting brittle nails from flaking. Besides protecting your nails, a nail strengthener will also improve your nails’ appearance.
Herein, we have picked and reviewed the best nail strengtheners, with the aim of helping you purchase the right product for your nails. Selected items have an excellent customer rating, meaning that they work as advertised.
10. Nailtiques Formula 2 Nail Protein
Best for: Naturally soft nails
The Formula 2 nail protein contains gelatin, wheat amino acids, formalin, ethyl acetate, and nitrocellulose. The nail protein helps nails grow long and strong. Apart from boosting growth, Formula 2 protects the nails from peeling and splitting. Formula 2 is often available on Amazon, and shipping is usually free.
- It delivers quick results.
- Formula 2 dries within 30 seconds.
- The formulation is salon-tested.
- It has a strong unpleasant smell.
- This hardener contains formaldehyde.
- It tends to peel off quickly under water.
Note: For a smaller version of this product, see the entry below.
9. Nailtiques Formula 2 Nail Growth Formula
Best for: Soft nails
This nail protein formula contains gelatin, nitrocellulose, wheat amino acids, tosylamide formaldehyde, vitamin B5, ethyl acetate, and more. It is basically the same product as before, only in a smaller bottle, perfect for people who want to test out the product beforehand. Regular use of this nail protein formula helps your nails grow long and healthy. Furthermore, the formula protects your nails from flaking and peeling.
- It dries really fast.
- The nail strengthener delivers results within weeks.
- You can wear it alone or with nail polish
- Contains formaldehyde.
- You need to use it constantly to see results.
- Some people find it expensive.
8. Nutra Nail 5 to 7 Day Growth Calcium Formula
Best for: Soft, weak nails
Nutra Nail’s calcium formula is prepared from lanolin, keratin amino acids, calcium chloride, aloe vera leaf juice, and serum albumin. These ingredients collaborate to help your nails grow strong within one week. Besides boosting growth, the calcium formula also protects your nails from breaking and peeling. Nutra Nail’s Calcium Formula is often on sale on Amazon.
- It is the best nail strengthener if your nails need conditioning.
- Your nails quickly absorb its nutrients for fast results.
- The formula dries within five seconds.
- Some people claim that they could not perceive any changes during the advertised period.
- Customers advise to use it continuously, otherwise, the results will disappear.
- The growing process takes more than advertised.
7. OPI Nail Envy Nail Strengthener
Best for: Thin and brittle nails
The Nail Envy nail strengthener contains calcium, camphor, citric acid, cellulose, formaldehyde, and hydrolyzed wheat protein. Regular use of this product hardens weak nails and helps them grow strong, long, and healthy. OPI Nail Envy is the best nail strengthener for people looking to stop nails from splitting, peeling, and cracking. The strengthener is usually available on Amazon at a discount.
- It comes in 10 colors choices.
- This best nail strengthener was an award-winning product at Best Beauty Awards 2015.
- It enhances your nails’ beauty.
- The nail strengthener contains formaldehyde.
- It starts to flake within a short period of application.
- The product is a bit thick.
6. Quimica Alemana Nail Hardener
Best for: Damaged acrylic nails
The Quimica Alemana nail hardener is formulated from amyl acetate, nitrocellulose, tosylamide, camphor, and formaldehyde resin. This nail hardener forms a protective layer that shields your nails from peeling and thinning. It is, therefore, regarded as one of the best nail strengthener options for acrylic nails. The Quimica Alemana Nail Hardener is often available on Amazon, and shipping is sometimes free.
- The nail hardener delivers quick results.
- Prevents nail chipping.
- Helps users get rid of acrylic nails.
- It may irritate your fingers if you are sensitive to formaldehyde.
- The hardener has a strong unpleasant smell.
- It may cause a burning sensation.
5. Onyx Professional Hard As Hoof Nail Strengthening Cream
Best for: Soft and fragile nails
Onyx Professional’s Hard As Hoof nail strengthening cream is prepared from jojoba oil, glycerin, coconut oil, silk protein, carthamus, and calcium pantothenate. The Hard As Hoof nail cream is the best nail strengthener for soft and fragile nails, as it boosts growth and conditions cuticles. Also, it shields your nails from chipping and cracking. It is often for sale on Amazon, and shipping is free.
- It conditions dry nails.
- You can use the nail strengthener as a hand cream.
- It has a pleasant scent.
- You will need to apply the cream thrice a day for better results.
- Some people say that the coconut scent is unpleasant.
- Results can take a while to appear.
4. Sally Hansen Diamond Strength Instant Nail Hardener
Best for: Fragile nails
Sally Hansen’s best nail hardener is prepared from nitrocellulose, diamond powder, ethyl acetate, and titanium. These ingredients work synergistically to provide a protective coating which prevents cracking and peeling. Besides forming a protective coat, the nail hardener also moisturizes the nails. You can find it on Amazon, often with free shipping.
- It is free from formaldehyde and other toxic chemicals.
- It applies to your nails instantly.
- The nail hardener’s lustrous shine boosts your nail’s appearance.
- It peels off quickly, especially when the nails come into contact with warm water.
- The price is a bit high.
- You have to reapply it frequently for it to work.
3. Nail Tek Nail Strengthener Xtra
Best for: Severe nail weakness
The Nail Tek nail strengthener is formulated from calcium pantothenate, ethyl acetate, formaldehyde resin, nitrocellulose, and hydrolyzed wheat protein. As advertised, this concentrated formula treats weak and damaged nails that are resistant to conventional treatments. The strengthener is sold on Amazon, and shipping is often free.
- It gives results within a short period.
- Nail Tek shields your nails from cracking, chipping, and peeling.
- It is an excellent option for fixing the damage resulting from gel polish and acrylics.
- It has a strong unpleasant smell.
- Nail Tek nail strengthener contains formaldehyde.
- For some people, it only slightly improves nail weakness.
2. Barielle Nail Strengthener Cream
Best for: Badly damaged nails
Barielle’s nail strengthener cream is formulated from lanolin wax, Paraffinum Liquidim, Aqua, hydrolyzed soy protein, and beeswax. This second best nail strengthener provides nails with the essential nutrients they need to grow long and healthy. Moreover, the strengthener cream prevents your nails from peeling and breaking. It is often on sale on Amazon, and shipping is free.
- It’s easy to apply.
- The cream is free of formaldehyde.
- It gives results within a month of use.
- Requires several applications a day.
- Some customers see it more as a moisturizer than as a nail strengthener.
- Some people have received a product with a different consistency than the product’s usual one.
1. essie Treat Love and Color Strengthener for Normal To Dry/Brittle Nails
Best for: Dry, brittle nails
The Essie color strengthener is formulated from collagen extract, camellia leaf extract, and brightening pigments. As marketed, the strengthener protects your nails from peeling and breaking. Moreover, it restores moisture on brittle nails, and its visually brightening pigments enhance your nails’ appearance. The Essie color strengthener is available on Amazon with free shipping.
- Comes in 26 colors.
- It gives results within one week.
- It is free of harmful substances like formaldehyde and toluene.
- Some colors are faint.
- Some people complain that the polish streaks.
- It takes a long while to dry.
Nail hardeners help your nails grow strong, long, and healthy. Besides boosting growth, some nail hardeners also form a protective layer that shields your nails from cracking, peeling, and flaking. Weak nails may be a sign of nutritional gaps, so you might also need to take a look at our review of the Best Multivitamins you can buy. What is the best nail strengthener you’ve ever tried? Tell us about it in the comments below.
Recommended Read: Best Toenail Clippers